In May 2008 Yarloop Workshops formed a maintenance partnership with Fairbridge Farm to allow skilled heritage restoration workers to carry our work on our site. Fairbridge Farm trained them under their Indigenous Apprenticeship Training Scheme. The first job undertaken by them, the replacement of a long valley gutter and downpipes has been completed.
Harvey Shire have agreed to allow our planned major maintenance programme for 2008/9 which will allow us to seek matching funding for major maintenance projects such as drainage.
The Conservation Plan for the Yarloop Workshops has been completed by Palassis Architects. A priority will be the restoration of Caldwell’s Cottage. (the caretakers cottage).
Work During 2005-2007
- Ingersoll Rand Compressor commenced assembly. Crankcases aligned and 14.2 Ton flywheel installed May 2007.
- Steam Shed extension with ALCOA Funding due for completion November 2007 (see photo).
- Truck shop reopened to the public.
- Railway loop completed with installation of points.
- Work has commenced on Rail Safety Accreditation to allow our Steam Tram to run in the complex.
- Cabin Restaurant air-conditioned.
- Disabled access ramps improved.
- Volunteers Picnic area established.
- Railway siding landing built.
New restoration work
- Pump shed weatherboards replaced and re-roofed.
- Coke Store re-roofed.
- Replaced window sashes Caretaker Cottage.
Work During 2008-2010
- Redevelopment stage one plans. Building work commenced to join the Souvenir Shop and Cabin Restaurant Buildings with funding from Southwest Development Commission.
- Stage one redevelopment will now include the relocated Yarloop Post Office and Lotteries West Franchises from Decemeber 1 2008
- Work commenced on future alfresco area with new ramps and drainage well finished.
- Emergency Repairs funding received from Lotteries West.
- Conservation Plan completed by Palassis Architects with funding from Lotteries West
- Funding applied for Professor David Dolan’s Interpretation Plan.
- Stage two completed of Doctors House restoration with funding from The State Government Pinjarra/Brunswick Sustainability Fund.
- Steam Shed extension opened officially in April 2008
Visit Our Stand
Caravan and Camping Show
Claremont Showgrounds Thurs 20- Mon 24 March 2014
Workshops - (08) 9733 5215
Executive Committee For Term 2013/2014
President - Geoff CATTACH
Past President - Dom ANZELLINO
Vice President - Carmel HILL
Treasurer - Gary Van Burgel
Secretary - Jan Delaney
Curator - John Larner
- Geoff Cattach
- Carmel Hill
- William Hendren
- Gary Van Burgel
- Jan Delaney
- Bevan Delaney
- Amanda Lovitt - Harvey Shire Representative
- John Larner
- Rob Watt
- John Halliday
- Geoff CATTACH
- David CANNON
- Colin PUZEY
- Dom ANZELLINO
- Carmel HILL
- Ellen COX
- Geoff FORTUNE
- Valerie FORTUNE
- Helen DAWN PITT
Appointment of Auditor Ian D PEDLER FCPA FTIA
Appointment of Patrons Charles & Dianna HULL
Adults $20 - Pensioners $15 - Children $7 - Families $40
New restoration work:
- the Plate Shed; used for storing iron plate for boilmakers shop,
- the awning over the Mill Store railway platform.
SOUTH WEST INDUSTRIAL HERITAGE TRAIL
A proposal has been put forward for a South West Industrial Heritage Trail. The proposal has been published as a report titled, "Working Life", and is published by the South West Development Commission. Email firstname.lastname@example.org
The Report states that, "the Yarloop Workshops are perfectly placed to be the northern gateway to the South West Industrial Heritage Trail."
Furthermore: "This complex..... represents a unique example of a complete timber milling workshop in Western Australia (and possibly Australia)."